News

Man arrested in Florida airport hoax

Man arrested in Florida airport hoax

HOAX: Police say Zeljko Causevic, 39, of Jacksonville, had a fake bomb. Photo: Reuters

JACKSONVILLE, Florida (Reuters) – A trucking company worker was arrested on charges of making a false bomb threat that prompted a five-hour evacuation at Jacksonville International Airport in Florida, jail records showed on Wednesday.

Zeljko Causevic, 39, of Jacksonville, walked up to a Transportation Security Administration agent on Tuesday evening, pointed to his camouflage backpack and said, “I got a bomb in here,” the arrest report said.

He carried a luggage scale, batteries and cell phone in the backpack and had a remote-control device that he referred to as a “detonator,” the report said.

Causevic then told the agent it was “supposed to be a bomb, but it’s not.”

The airport was evacuated while a bomb squad checked out his backpack and examined a second suspicious package that was found in a parking lot and determined to be harmless.

Causevic was jailed on charges of making a false report about a bomb and the manufacture or possession of a hoax bomb. He is U.S. citizen born in Bosnia Herzegovina and employed by the Swift Trucking Co., his arrest report said.

During the confusion, a second man was arrested at the airport on Tuesday night on unrelated charges of resisting arrest, investigators and jail records said.

The airport reopened late Tuesday night. Flights were arriving on schedule on Wednesday morning, but more than 20 outgoing flights were canceled.

Latest Stories

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

little

A look at the biggest stories and best photography in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

yankees

A complete look at this weekend's sports schedule.

in Sports

Tony Stewart returns to NASCAR racing after fatal accident

Tony Stewart smiles as he speaks with his crew before the start of the rain delayed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Daytona 500 race at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, February 27, 2012.

Tony Stewart will return to racing this weekend at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for the first time since he struck and killed a young racer at a dirt track earlier this month.