News

Fire Heavily Damages House On Westfield Road

Fire Heavily Damages House On Westfield Road

Photo: WINA

An Albemarle County home was heavily damaged in a Monday morning fire. The County Fire Marshal’s office says a family who lived in the 300-block of Westfield Road did not get rid of some ashes the right way. Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Maddox says a rear deck caught fire and it affected the first and second stories of the house. Maddox says the total property and content damage is nearly $152,000. Firefighters were summoned to the house shortly after 6:20 a.m. Monday. There were no injuries and the family is being assisted by the local Red Cross. Maddox says anyone who cleans out a wood stove, fire pit or grill should put ashes in a metal can or bucket with a lid. The can or bucket should be at last ten feet away from a house or deck. Meanwhile, county fire officials are still looking for answers following a fatal house fire in the Free Union area. An unidentified man who lived by himself in the 3400-block of Millington Road died after his home caught fire Sunday morning. His body was sent to a state medical examiner’s office in Richmond.

 

Latest Stories

in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Surrounding Counties, UVA, UVA Sports

UVA Great Tom Scott Dies

Updated
Scott Tom 090115 (sent to us)

Tom Scott, the first two-sport All-American at the University of Virginia, has died.

in Sports

Top seeds in a hurry on day of U.S. Open upsets

serena

World number ones Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic launched their U.S. Open title bids in ruthless style.

in Entertainment, Sports

Will Smith to take on NFL coverup

21-overlay

"Concussion" is based on Dr. Bennet Omalu, who was the first to discover the existence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE): a disease of the brain found in athletes with a history of repetitive brain trauma.