The city is placing pavement markings at the intersection of University Avenue and Rugby Road to make it safer and more convenient for bicyclists. The markings will be installed the week of August 18th as part of the current repaving there. It’s a pilot project to have greater visibility for cyclists. There will be desginated “bicycle only” waiting areas to make it easier to make left turns onto McCormick Road and Rugby Road. Similar waiting areas will be placed ahead of vehicular traffic on southbound Rugby Road and westbound University Avenue.
USING THE BIKE BOXES AND TWO-STAGE TURN QUEUE BOXES:
• To use the two-stage turn queue boxes on eastbound and westbound University Avenue, bicyclists should proceed through the intersection, when the light is green, to a painted waiting area in front of traffic on the cross-street.
• Bicyclists should turn their bikes and wait for the traffic light on the cross-street to change to greento complete their turn.
• To use the advance bike boxes on eastbound University Avenue and southbound Rugby Road, bicyclists should stop in the bike box when the traffic signal is red.
• Motorists must wait at the stop line behind the bike box and not block the box.
• Bicyclists should remain in the bike box until the light turns green.
• When the light turns green, motorists and cyclists may move through the intersection as usual, with cyclists going first.
• Motorists turning right on green should signal and watch for cyclists to the right, especially in the green bike lane leading up to the intersection.
• Bicyclists should use extreme caution and watch for right-turning vehicles.
• Both drivers and bicyclists must obey all posted “stop here on red” and “no turn on red” signs.
For more information about how all road users should use these and other bicycle and pedestrian treatments, visit www.charlottesville.org/safestreets.