News

Justin Bieber heads to trial on May 5

Justin Bieber heads to trial on May 5

SEE YOU IN COURT: Justin Bieber has a May 5 trial date. Photo: Reuters

MIAMI (Reuters) – A Miami judge has set a May 5 trial date for pop singer Justin Bieber, who faces charges of driving under the influence, resisting arrest and using an expired license after police say he was caught drag racing in Miami Beach.

The 20-year-old Bieber has pleaded not guilty to the charges. He did not attend the hearing on Tuesday in a Miami-Dade county court.

The initial March trial date was postponed after lawyers for Bieber and several news organizations argued in court over whether the media should have access to video images of the singer while he was in police custody following his arrest on Jan. 23.

PHOTOS: Top 20 Bieber bad-boy moments | Justin Bieber through the years

Police arrested Bieber for drunken driving after officers stopped him in a rented yellow Lamborghini alongside another driver in a red Ferrari on a main Miami Beach street.

Two SUVs had blocked off the road so the singer could race a friend, police said.

Bieber initially resisted arrest, cursed at police officers and later told them he had consumed alcohol, pot and prescription drugs, according to police.

WATCH: Bieber storms out of deposition

He was released from jail after a judge set bail at $2,500. If convicted, Bieber could face six months in jail, although experts say he will likely get off with a lighter sentence for his first offense.

Bieber was charged in February with assaulting a limousine driver in Toronto late last year.

(Reporting by Kevin Gray; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Latest Stories

in Local Sports, Sports, UVA Sports

Tony Bennett Lands Another Top Recruit

TONY BENNETT

One of the best shooters in the 2016 class chooses Virginia over several top schools.

in Sports

Tuesday’s Sports Minute

worldseries

In addition to the Steelers’ big win and the sentencing of Olympic track star Oscar Pistorius, here is a look…

in Sports

McIlroy turns focus to legal battle

mcilroy

Rory McIlroy has pulled out of two events to focus on his legal battle with his former management company.